Sunday, March 29, 2009

TEH ENDZORS

Misha, Timofey, Rouenna, Soooooooooviet Russia, the Absurdvani, and Beloved Papa. This novel by Shteyngart turned out to be quite a tale, although one I could do without. The novel seemed to be an attempt at weirding out half the populace of the western world. The vivid sexual scenes without actual intercourse confused me and alarmed me, and I don’t think they really added to the story any beyond pitching Misha as a gradually more sorry and pitiful character. Speaking of Misha, I thought I would be fond of the character throughout the book when I had started reading it, but as I got further into the Enigma that is Shteyngart's imagination, I realized that he is someone I would very certainly hate in real life. One instance of the unnecessary use of sex in the book, I bring the reader’s attention to the ‘play’ with a KGB officer and a prostitute talk vividly about sex… and it really doesn’t further the plot much at all in my opinion. While talking about the plot, I must mention the giant analogy that is Absurdistan. It screams “I AM AFGHANISTAN!” The satire Shteyngart uses to show the reader the ‘absurdity’ of the middle eastern situation today is so very well done. I think Shteygart’s descriptive and satiric abilities are extraordinary yet… oh, misguided and misused, shall we say?

No comments:

Post a Comment